Brainstorming on some of the most prevalent of the industry challenges has helped highlight comprehensively the direction in which upcoming as well as existing food business owners need to orient. Those struggling everyday to sustain and break even will eventually either burn out and exit, or invest so heavily that they will need to struggle endlessly to draw the bare minimum ROIs.
From the perspective of a solutions provider, the intent here was to understand how to improvise and steer through with a win-win situation for all. The online food industry is one of the few most flourishing sectors, from the demand perspective, yet exhausting from the business point of view.
Wisely made investments can help draw business benefits that can further be invested towards augmenting business growth in-line with the upcoming trends. Data driven solutions show a promising trend in dealing with the existing challenges. Broadly, if we collate all the information shared above, key business take-aways would be to embrace and endorse the following tools or software as a part of the online food platform:
Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
Business Intelligence (BI & Analytics)
Accounts & Finance
Regulatory & Feedback Access
Marketing & SEO
These components as part of the online food platform will provide a necessary threshold to the business, building upon which would not seem to present a challenge. The business can hereafter begin with a balanced approach, seemingly prepared for the changes, and somewhat ready for in-promtu improvisations as per need or situation.
When venturing into the online food industry it must be well thought of that the landscape is a dynamic one to become a part of. As the world embraced technology on all fronts, the online food delivery system also established itself to a new threshold. Platform technology amalgamated with mobile technology to bring forward a portable food selection and ordering system.
Today online food delivery is a full fledged ever-growing industry, operating in collaboration with many different industries like logistics, IT, food, regulatory, marketing, advertising, and production. A balanced input from all of these goes into delivering a freshly cooked food to the consumer. The consumer however is the center of this ecosystem, and drives majorly of all that happens through the value chain.
A foodpreneur considers each and every component of this process to streamline the activities that result in quality food preparation along with its last-mile delivery. What the journey brings forth is managed and dealt with by taking into consideration the investments that have gone into making the system functional. Sustenance beyond all the hassles due to various factors is turning out to be the primary concern of online food business owners.
Considering the gaps, the only pocket bearer is the business owner, which is leading to a high attrition rate among the community. Through this whitepaper we have made an effort to suggest simple measures that can be taken while developing the platform or app for an online food ordering and delivery channel.
The online food delivery platform being the focus where end-end business happens, its design, development, and architecture play a big role in reaping appropriate ROIs. Some basic inclusions if considered well in time can help bring big changes in the way an online food business navigates across challenges faced. Technology-assisted deliveries are making their way fairly into the mainstream with tech giants like Google stepping in. With new frontiers to list the restaurants on Google Maps itself and improving visibility for businesses with easy access for customers.
Answering the question asked in the very beginning, as to whether technology can be the ultimate solution to all challenges, is yes. Technology can be, and needs to be harnessed in the best way possible, to minimize, if not avert these challenges.
1. Monique Pollard, Catherine T O’Neill. How COVID-19 Is Impacting Online Food Delivery Platforms ,Global Perspectives & Solutions
2. Charlene Li, Miranda Mirosa, Phil Bremer, Review of Online Food Delivery Platforms and their Impacts on Sustainability, MDPI, 8 July 2020
3. Daryna P. 7 Hot Trends That Will Change The Future of the Food Delivery Industry
4. Sam Sinha What’s the future for delivery and online ordering in 2021?
5. Yasemin Y. Kor, Jaideep Prabhu, Mark Esposito How Large Food Retailers Can Help Solve the Food Waste Crisis.
6. Nicole Torres, Why Sourcing Local Food Is So Hard for Restaurants
7. Maarten Elferink and Florian Schierhorn, Global Demand for Food Is Rising. Can We Meet It?
8. Food Delivery Sector Sees a Huge Rise in Orders as a Result of COVID-19
9. Tanvir Singh, Food On Demand : Business Models Meal Delivery Startup,
10. Atman Rathod , Things To Consider For A Successful Online Food Delivery Business In India, INC42
11. Max Babych, Navigating through Various Types of Food Delivery App Business Model, SPD LOAD.
12. 4 radical business models of on-demand food delivery business you need to know to triumph the industry with on-demand food delivery app.
13. Dylan Bolden, Amanda Luther, Mary Martin, Lee Robertson, Lauren Taylor, Louise Wiggins, Ben Eppler ,The $100 Billion Digital Lifeline for Restaurants
14. Elena Bartkiene , Vesta Steibliene, Virginija Adomaitiene, Grazina Juodeikiene ,Darius Cernauskas ,Vita Lele, Dovile Klupsaite, Daiva Zadeike, Laura Jarutiene, and Raquel P. F. Guiné, Factors Affecting Consumer Food Preferences: Food Taste and Depression-Based Evoked Emotional Expressions with the Use of Face Reading Technology, 21 Apr 2019
15. Kathy Cobb, How Are Consumers’ Food Preferences Changing?, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, December 4, 2020
16. Changing consumer preferences How, what and when consumers buy is changing how your business operates
17. Anh Kim Dang, Bach Xuan Tran, Cuong Tat Nguyen, Huong Thi Le , Hoa Thi Do , Hinh Duc Nguyen , Long Hoang Nguyen , Tu Huu Nguyen , Hue Thi Mai , Tho Dinh Tran , Chau Ngo, Thuc Thi Minh Vu , Carl A. Latkin , Melvyn W.B. Zhang, Roger C.M. Ho, Consumer Preference and Attitude Regarding Online Food Products in Hanoi, Vietnam, MDPI, 14 May 2018
18. V. Krishna kumari, A Impact of Customer Behavior Towards Online Food Services , May 2019
19. Isabel Singer, Integrating Restaurant Data Systems, December 20, 2019, Timothy Morey, Theodore “Theo” Forbath, Allison Schoop, Customer Data: Designing for Transparency and Trust, Harvard Business Review, May 2015
20. Barbara B. VanRenterghem, Who’s Managing The Safety of Food Delivery? Food Safety Magazine, October 1 2020,
21. Michael Kalish, Charlie Kalish, Is It Time for Third-Party Delivery Platforms to Help Make the Rules?, Food Safety magazine, February 26 2021.
Post Views: 381
Join Yoyumm Newsletter & get your dose of latest insights.
Want to know more about the online food delivery business?